Heading into this weekend there are a few Falcons players that will need step up for the Falcons to be victorious. Here are five Falcons that will be crucial in deciding the fate of the Falcons – Titans encounter on Sunday afternoon.
- CB Dunta Robinson – While his play hasn’t been bad, he hasn’t been great either and is certainly not living up to his big contract he got a few seasons ago. Last week against the Saints, he gave up a few big plays whilst covering Saints WR Lance Moore at crucial times in the ball game. The Titans do not have great receivers, so I expect Dunta to step up and dominate this week.
- WR Roddy White – I’m not sure what is up with Roddy this season. His drops have been a huge problem, but he also is not getting as much separation as he was last season. This could be due to the nagging hamstring injury he was dealing with, earlier in the season. Hopefully, he will begin to get back to his pro bowl form soon, as the Falcons really need him to perform.
- DE John Abraham – While the main target for criticism on the D-Line this week has been Ray Edwards. I think Abraham has been the bigger disappointment so far this season, getting only 3 sacks in 9 games. I’ve been fearing this for a few years, that when Abraham begins to slow down, the Falcons pass rush will be in serious trouble, and that is becoming very clear this season. I hope I am wrong and he still has something left in the tank and becomes the Predator once again.
- DT Johnathon Babineaux – Although Corey Peters, was not good against New Orleans, Ill give him a pass because he has been great otherwise this season. Babs on the other hand, has lacked any pass rush the whole season, with only 1 sack from 6 games. The lack of inside pressure, is certainly not helping our guys on the outside.
- FS Thomas DeCoud – At times, i have been unfairly critical of DeCoud, as the lion share of his play is very solid, but he makes a few mistakes and in the New Orleans game those mistakes hurt us. In our bend but don’t break style of defense, we cannot afford our safeties to make any mistakes. That puts a lot of pressure on Decoud to perform well as he is usually the last line of our defense.