Talks between the Falcons and Curtis Lofton’s representative have continued throughout this week. Its no secret that the Falcons would love to have him back but at the right price.
I have talked about hitting the $6 million a year mark for the past few weeks but how much could it cost to resign our starting middle linebacker.
Here are the top five contracts in the NFL for inside linebackers:
1. Patrick Willis, San Francisco: seven years, $53.51 million, $29 million guaranteed.
2. Jon Beason, Carolina: six years, $51.3 million, $25 million guaranteed.
3. Jerod Mayo, New England: seven years,$49.85 million, $25 million guaranteed.
4. D’Qwell Jackson, Cleveland: five years, $ 42.5 million, $19.5 million guaranteed.
5. David Harris, New York Jets: four years, $36 million, $29.5 million guaranteed.
The rates of these linebackers are substantially higher than the $6 million a year i have speculated. I can’t see the Falcons paying this type of money to Curtis Lofton. Especially considering there have been reports that the new Falcons staff consider him a “two down” linebacker.
If Lofton is looking for this type of money we could be saying goodbye to him.