And then there was one.
Former Wisconsin safety Dezmen Southward is the Falcons lone unsigned draftee.
Eight of the nine selections have signed, including first round pick Jake Matthews on Thursday.
Southward, a third round selection, is a hard-hitting, fast moving safety who could bring some much needed pop to a passing defense that was in the bottom third of the league. He can also help put a helmet on opposing running backs, shoring up a Falcons run defense that was awful at last year, ranking next to last in the league. Southward should be in competition for a starting spot, in particular with the departure of Thomas Decoud. Hopefully, Southward will be an official Falcon before OTAs begin next Tuesday.
Just to recap the Falcons rookie class, here are the 2014 draftees:
- Jack Matthews, OT, Texas A&M (first round, 6th overall)
- Ra’Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota (second round, 37th overall)
- Dezmen Southward, S, Wisconsin (third round, 68th overall)
- Devonta Freeman, RB, Florida State (fourth round, 103rd overall)
- Prince Shembo, LB, Notre Dame (fourth round, 139th overall)
- Ricardo Allen, CB, Purdue (fifth round, 147th overall)
- Marquis Spruill, LB, Syracuse (fifth round 168th overall)
- Yawin Smallwood, LB, Connecticut (seventh round, 253rd overall)
- Tyler Starr, LB, South Dakota (seventh round, 255th overall)