Each week, I will attempt to watch at least two college football games in full and post my thoughts here on Blogging Dirty after the game.
First up is the high scoring encounter between Auburn and Clemson. Where has Defense gone in College Football? seems like there is 50+ total points in every game these days. Anyway moving on, there were a few interesting players to look out for in this game, here are some of my quick thoughts.
- A player that came out of nowhere to star in this game was Clemson QB Tajh Boyd, who finished the game 30 of 42 for 386 yards and 4 TD’s. He showed incredible poise throughout for a sophomore, admittedly he was facing the awful Auburn defense but still very encouraging signs for him.
- Auburn RB Michael Dyer was the most talented player on the field, he along with Marcus Lattimore are that good they would be drafted in the first round of the 2012 draft if they were allowed to be eligible. I love Dyer’s speed and power he really is a rare talent.
- WR Sammy Watkins and WR DeAndre Hopkins both impressed today looking very capable receivers for their age and experience. Will be interesting to see if they can do this consistently week in and week out.
- TE Dwayne Allen showed why Urban Meyer referred to him as “one of the best tight ends in the nation” by making some great catches on route to a 7 catch performance for 80 yards and a TD. If he comes out as a junior he should be at least a second round pick.
- Highly rated Clemson D – Lineman DT Brandon Thompson and DE Andre Branch showed flashes of their potential. I was more impressed with Branch today, I project him more as a 4-3 Left End than anything else should be a late second, early third round pick. I’ve heard Thompson being discussed in the first round, don’t quite see that from him yet, but I will watch more tape of him to see if that changes my mind.
- Finally my surprise player from today’s actions was Auburn QB Barrett Trotter. Although his stats were not the best today, I can see that he has got some good talent. He is not playing in the best scheme for his skill set either and is often being pressured into running the ball, as he is not Cam Newton you want Trotter throwing the ball not running. I could seem him being a late round pick, when he comes out as he was got a good arm and shows some good poise at times. Will be interesting to see how he does in his final two years.