Each week, after the game, I will name a few Falcons players who deserve recognition for their performance. We call it earning your wings. Here we go:-
- QB Matt Ryan – The Falcons QB was on fire this past weekend. He looked in total control of the offense, orchestrating the no huddle and making good adjustments at the line of scrimmage. I could make the case this was his best game of the season thus far, despite playing very well in last weeks loss to the Saints. On the day, he completed 22 of 32 passes for 316 yards and a TD. An important note this is the first time in Matty Ice’s career, that he has thrown back to back 300 yard games.
- WR Roddy White – Finally a big productive day from our star wide receiver. Catching 7 balls for 147 yards,against a decent Titans secondary is a sign that Roddy may be turning the corner on his season. I would still like Roddy to cut out the silly penalties, they are needless and cuts out some positive plays for our offense.
- TE Tony Gonzalez – The old man produced, a day we have come to expect from the future hall of famer. Recording 5 catches for 76 yards and a TD. Having this kind of production from our tight end is crucial for offense to succeed. If Gonzo keeps this up he could come back next season and still be very productive.
- HB Michael Turner – In this edition of “Who Earned Their Wings” the offensive skill positions are getting a lot of love, which hasn’t been that common so far this season. Turner was like a bowling ball on a few runs, beating up on the Titans defenders for long gains after contact. The fumble in the Titans red zone was frustrating and very unlike him. He finished with 21 carries for 100 yards and a TD.
- G Joe Hawley – I really like the way Hawley has played since being put into the starting lineup at RG. One play that stuck out for me, was on a outside pitch and Hawley showed some hustle to get down the field and block for the runner. Although I’m giving Hawley some love here, the whole offensive line has been very good recently, I hope that trend continues.