Each week, after the game, I will name a few Falcons players who deserve recognition for their performance. We call it earning your wings. Here we go:-
- WR Roddy White – White stepped up and had a huge game. On a day he caught 10 balls for 120 yards and a touchdown, he dominated the competition and played in my opinion his most complete game of the season. He was a very reliable target that Matt Ryan looked too time after time. Although the relationship between the two hasn’t been as strong during the first half of the season as it has been, it looks like the two are right in rythm now, just in time to head into the latter part of the season.
- QB Matt Ryan – Along with White, Ryan is also hitting his stride. Ryan threw 27/34 for 262 yards and 3 touchdowns, and continued a stretch of impressive play over the past 3 games, which is up there with any other time in his career. Out of the no huddle, Ryan was in total control again, and when I say total i mean TOTAL, he keeps getting the offense into the best situation. Looking exactly like Peyton Manning in his prime, changing the plays constantly using special covert car phrases such as “Mercedes Oprah”!!
- CB Chris Owens – Aside from one poor defensive play, where he allowed Percy Harvin to make a big catch, Owens played well in relief for the injured Brent Grimes. On Defense, he recorded 4 tackles and a sack. On special teams, he made the play of the year for the Falcons’ special teams. On the long 104 yard kickoff return by Percy Harvin, Owens hustled back, hunting down the speedy Harvin, to make a last ditch tackle just before the goal line preventing the touchdown.
- DE Lawrence Sibury – I’ve been calling for Sidbury to get more snaps for quite some time now, and he is showing exactly why I felt that way. Recording 2 big sacks to bring his season total up to 4.
- TE Tony Gonzalez – Along with White, Gonzo provided Ryan with another very solid target snagging 9 balls for 69 yards. He continues his record breaking season and looks healthier than ever.
- LB Sean Weatherspoon – A “Who Earned Their Wings” segment could not be complete without Sean Weatherspoon. A great day as it was with 10 tackles and a sack, he topped it off with an incredible stop on 4th an goal by reading the play and snuffing it right out. It would be an absolute travesty if Weatherspoon does not make the pro bowl this year.
For details on the game, check out Blogging Dirty’s game report of the Falcons – Vikings.