The Atlanta Falcons had just nine remaining players to cut from the team. Read on to see who was waived from the Falcons.
The start of the NFL regular season is about to begin in a little more than a week. However, teams were required to trim rosters down to 53 players today. As a result, the Atlanta Falcons had to waive nine players from its preseason roster to get to the league-mandated 53 man roster size.
Of the eleven moves, the Falcons made, nine were waiving players. However, one of the moves was quite surprising and unexpected. Atlanta made a questionable cut when they waived preseason favorite, wide receiver, J.D. McKissic.
So here we go, let’s see the moves the Falcons made:
1. Placed cornerbackAkeem King on the injured reserve.
2. Moved cornerbackDeMarcus Van Dyke on the injured reserve.
3. Reached an injury settlement/waived running back Brandon Wilds.
4. Waived linebacker Tyler Starr.
5. Moved cornerback Jalen Collins to the suspended list.
6. Released defensive tackle Joey Mbu.
7. Waived wide receiver J.D. McKissic.
8. Waived safety Sharrod Neasman.
9. Waived quarterback Matt Simms.
10. Waived tight end D.J. Tialavea.
11. The team entered into injury settlement negotiations with Will Ratelle, so essentially he will be cut by the deadline.
It is always a tough time of the year when teams have to start trimming rosters. No one wants to see other people’s dreams come to a harsh end. However, this may not be the end for all of these players. A speedy young player such as J.D. McKissic is always a hot commodity, and Matt Simms should be the first quarterback the team calls if Matt Schaub or Matt Ryan is injured.