As the Falcons are on a bye this week, it seems like a good time to analyse how our Falcons have played so far this year. We will be going unit by unit on the team over the next week or so. We have already graded the Defensive Line, Linebackers, Defensive Backs and Offensive Line.
Now it is the turn of the Falcons Quarterbacks and Running Backs.
- QB Matt Ryan (B-) – Matt is certainly not playing at the same level as last year. His turnovers are concerning, particularly the last few INTs hes thrown, which have clearly been poor decisions. However his efficency in the red zone has been immense. When the Falcons get down to the redzone, he is finding ways to get the ball into the endzone for a touchdown. Through 7 games, he has thrown for 1,683 yards, 9TDs and 8 Interceptions.
- RB Michael Turner (A) – Turner looks in the best shape of his life. He runs with power as usual but his quickness around the line of scrimmage is what stands out to me. He’s currently 7th in the NFL in rushing yards with 621 yards and he also has 6TDs. I would expect him to be in the top 5 before seasons end in both categories.
- RB Jason Snelling (B) – Snelling has only had 6 carries on the year for 24 yards, but his major impact has come as a receiver out of the backfield. He has recorded 12 catches for 89 yards and is the option the Falcons use on some 1st and 2nd down passing situations.
- RB Jacquizz Rodgers (B+) – In limited opportunities Quizz has shown that he belongs in the NFL. On third downis where he has seen most of his action, in the scat back role and has been responsible for keeping some Falcons drives going. On the year he has 16 carries for 73 yards and 8 catches for 80 yards.
- FB Ovie Mughelli (A) – Sadly Ovie has been placed on IR after suffering a MCL tear. During the first 7 games Ovie has been a terrific lead blocker and had some effectiveness in the red zone passing game, having 2 touchdown catches already this year.
Tomorrow the final group to grade will be the Receivers and Tight Ends.